Updated: 12/07/12 : 06:26:14Printable Version
Later this month the people of Gurteen, will welcome the close family of Trevor Wallwork (50) who along with his two children Kimberley (12) and Harry (10) died from carbon monoxide poisoning just days before last Christmas in the south Sligo village. The family had moved from Salford to Sligo seven years ago.
The tragedy happened as Mr Wallwork’s wife, Susan, was in hospital receiving treatment for cancer. Her daughter Vicky Barnes (22) discovered the bodies when she was unable to get an answer to phone calls. Gardaí broke into the house and found the television still on and the coal fire burning.
The late Mr Wallwork's brother Charles from Manchester UK, and his 15-year-old son Ryan, will visit the scene of the tragedy from 21-24 July and is expected to liaise with former friends and acquaintances of his deceased brother.
Left: Charles Wallwork will visit Gurteen later this month with his son Ryan
The elder brother Stanley (55) cannot make the journey as he is confined to home following minor surgery. Another brother, Granville (54) will also be unable to travel due to work commitments. Mr Wallwork's only sister Rae is undergoing brain surgery and is hoping to visit Sligo following her recovery.SligoToday.ie
has been informed that the family's parents remain distraught and are still trying to come to terms with what happened to a happy vibrant family.
Charles continues to visit and maintain the family grave weekly with various members of the family accompanying him. Whilst in Gurteen he and his son will see the plaque the local Mullaghroe school has dedicated to Kimberley and Harry. Schoolmates of the deceased children were counselled on dealing with the tragedy by staff from the National Educational Psychological Service.
The Wallworks will visit the grave of Trevor’s wife Sue, who recently lost her battle to cancer.