Five homeless families, who are living in emergency accommodation in Lynam's Hotel in Dublin city centre, have been told they will have to leave the hotel by Saturday as a receiver has been appointed to the property.
RTÉ reported that the plight of the five families has been raised in the Dáil yesterday afternoon by Independent TD Thomas Pringle during Topical Issues.
Mr Pringle asked the Government to intervene in the case.
While Mr Pringle claimed NAMA appointed the receiver, Aiden Murphy of Crowe Horwath, a statement said the Mr Murphy is the legal agent of the original borrower, not of NAMA.
A spokesman also said the management of this issue is a matter for Mr Murphy and the operator of the hotel and NAMA is not involved in these issues
Speaking in the Dáil, Mr Pringle said "five families have been told that they have to leave the Lynam Hotel on O'Connell Street in Dublin by Saturday as the hotel has gone into receivership. NAMA has appointed receivers to the hotel".
He said he is aware that "Dublin City Council is in negotiations to try and get more time for these families but this system is broken as all the city council can offer families is more inadequate and insecure accommodation for short periods of time."
He outlined the circumstance of some of the families that are there in the hotel. One mother and her 18-month-old daughter were made homeless in March this year and have been on the move between hotels and B&Bs since then.
He said that this is completely inappropriate for a young child.
Another family with five children have been living in separate rooms in the hotel.
The children have to be brought out to Dublin 15 each morning to school. The family have no cooking or laundry facilities and no security.
Mr Pringle added that "these families are being destroyed. They are currently living hour-to-hour with very little information, no support and no key worker from the Council which they were promised ten days ago as well."
He said that these families need secure accommodation so they can work on getting a permanent home.
Minister of State Damien English said the cases described are "exactly what we are trying to put an end to" with the new housing strategy.
He said that accommodating families in hotels for anything other than a short period of time is not acceptable and the new housing plan strives that hotels will only be used for accommodating families in exceptional circumstances.
The minister went on to outline details of the Government's housing strategy.
Mr English added that the council are seeking to negotiate "an extension of the date for the vacant possession with the receiver."
He said he is hopeful that these discussions will reach a favourable outcome before Saturday's deadline.UPDATE
The families have been allowed to remain in the hotel for another week and must vacate by 1st August.