Mandate Trade Union has announced that five more Tesco stores have voted in favour of industrial action and will join their colleagues on the picket lines on Friday, February 17.
The strike action is in relation to an ongoing dispute regarding changes to employee contracts including cuts to pay and conditions at work.Nine Tesco stores previously announced their plans to commence strike action on Valentine's Day to protest about the proposed changes to over 250 employee contracts.
John Douglas, Mandate General Secretary said: "Tesco is a hugely profitable multinational retailer making enormous profits in Ireland, buying up distribution companies for billions of euro and paying out dividends to shareholders. Yet they are threatening their most loyal workers into taking cuts to their incomes. These are already low-paid workers and it simply isnít fair.ĒThe five stores due to strike on Friday February 17 include:
- Tesco, Artane Castle Shopping Centre, Kilmore Rd, Beaumont, Dublin 5
- Tesco, Market Square, Ballina, Co. Mayo
- Tesco, Churchview Road, Kilbogget, Ballybrack, Co. Dublin
- Tesco, Roselawn Shopping Centre, Roselawn Rd, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
- Tesco, Unit 9 /10, Monaghan Shopping Centre, Dawson St, Tirkeenan, MonaghanThe other nine Tesco stores due to strike on St Valentine's Day include:
- Tesco, Baggot Street Lower, Dublin 2
- Tesco, Ballyfermot Rd, Ballyfermot Upper, Dublin 10
- Tesco, Vevay Road, Bray, Co Wicklow
- Tesco, Clearwater Shopping Centre, 11 Finglas Road, Dublin 11
- Tesco, Rear Main Street, Deanscurragh, Longford
- Tesco, Navan Town Centre, Kennedy Rd, Dillonsland, Navan, Co. Meath- Tesco, O'Connell St, Abbeyquarter North, Sligo
- Tesco, Manor West Retail Park, Ratass, Tralee, Co. Kerry
- Tesco, Tullamore Retail Park, Portarlington Road, Cloncollig, Tullamore, Co. Offaly.Five stores in Cork, Waterford and Arklow voted to defy Mandate's call for strike action.
In a statement, Tesco Ireland said: "We still urge Mandate, even at this late stage, to accept the Labour Courtís Recommendation on changes to pre-1996 terms and conditions and call off its strike. It is our intention that all Tesco stores will open for business as usual next week."
The Union continued balloting workers for strike action in a number of stores yesterday evening.