Updated: 30/01/18 : 05:49:58
Printable Version   Bookmark and Share Share This

local

Sligo and Leitrim bomb hoax teen arrested in Dublin

Gardai have confirmed that a 16-year-old youth has been arrested in Dublin in relation to six hoax bomb calls that took place in Sligo and Leitrim earlier this month.

There were two hoax bomb calls made to Tesco in Carrick-on-Shannon on Wednesday, January 10 and two hoax bomb calls to SuperValu in Manorhamilton on Tuesday, January 9 and Friday, January 12. 


There was also a bomb scare at a premises in Mohill on Saturday, January 13, as well as a hoax call made to a premises in Sligo.

Superintendent Kevin English told today's meeting of Co. Leitrim Joint Policing Committee that a 16-year-old youth is in custody after being arrested in Dublin this morning by Gardai from Manorhamilton and is being detained in relation to the commission of those crimes.

He has since been released and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

Supt English acknowledged that the hoax calls caused huge disruption and dislocation but said the Gardai were duty bound to evacuate the premises and carry out searches.